This post and its photos may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
There is something about the air turning a bit crisper and the smell of fall in the air that makes me crave pumpkin.
These cookies are the perfect complement to the season. Its mild pumpkin flavor makes these pumpkin cookies a safe bet for everyone.
Visiting the farmers market I can’t resist purchasing pie pumpkins. They sit on the tables taunting me to buy them. They are usually only a dollar or two which makes for very inexpensive pie puree for baking.
For years I never knew how to bake up my own pumpkin to make my own pumpkin for pies and cookies. Little did I know at the time how easy it is.
It’s pretty much how you cook any squash and it makes the house smell like fall while you bake.
How To Cook Pie Pumpkins
1. CAREFULLY cut pie pumpkin in half. Scoop out all the seeds.
2. Place pumpkins cut side down and bake at 400 degrees for at least 30 minutes or until completely soft.
3. Remove from oven and cool completely. Scoop pumpkin out of shell and mix until smooth.
4. If the pumpkin appears to be really wet you can place it in a cheesecloth and hang above a bowl or the sink for an hour or two and let the moisture drain out.
5. Use in equal amounts in place of canned pumpkin.
I used a countertop convection oven to bake these pumpkins. They fit perfectly inside. The directions above are for a standard oven.
Pin How To Cook Pie Pumpkins To Pinterest
SOFT PUMPKIN COOKIES INGREDIENTS
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin or Libby’s Pumpkin Pie puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Cream together sugar and butter in a separate bowl until well blended.
Whisk in the pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture into wet ingredients, mix until just combined. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on wire racks.
Pin Soft Pumpkin Cookies to Pinterest