Butternut squash soup is one of my favorites.
Sometimes the recipes look a little time consuming, but they are always worth it.
I’m sharing this delightful recipe because it includes a cider cream which is amazing!
Prep time for the soup should probably take about 15 minutes.
Peeling butternut squash doesn’t have to be difficult. I made a quick video to share how easy it is.
This recipe only makes enough for 2 so you’ll want to double up if you’re cooking for a family of 3 or more.
It’s great for leftovers as well so make extra and have some for lunch the next day.
Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Cream
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 2 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup lite sour cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups Apple Cider
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Chives
- 2 tsp. Poultry Herb Blend
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add squash, leeks, carrot, and celery; saute until slightly softened, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in apples, and Herb Poultry Blend.
- Add broth and 1 cup Cider and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer until apples are tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in a blender. Return soup to pan.
- Boil remaining 1/2 cup Cider in a heavy small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Cool.
- Place sour cream in small bowl. Whisk in reduced cider. (Soup and cider cream can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
- Bring soup to simmer. Mix in whipping cream.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with cider cream. Top with fresh chives.
Anytime is the perfect time for soup, be sure to check out more great delicious soups.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.