February is Lactose Intolerance Awareness Month and the National Dairy Council is celebrating with 28 Days of Eating Confidently, Living Fully. Lactose Intolerance is a food sensitivity that affects people whose bodies don’t create enough lactase, which is the enzyme in the body that breaks down the lactose found in many dairy products including milk and cheese.
We are, for the most part, a lactose free family. Em has trouble digesting most dairy products so the majority of time I only make recipes that I can alter to be completely lactose free. It took me a long time to figure out that there are a number of products available on the market that are lactose free.
Lactose Free Milk & Cheese
Of course, we knew about Lactaid milk which helped make life a whole lot easier when we started using it. Then, about a year ago, we found that Cabot’s sharp cheddar cheese is lactose free which opened up a whole lot more recipe ideas for us. Recently, we discovered that Yoplait makes lactose free yogurt. The yogurt is sometimes hard to find, but on the occasion we do find it we usually stock up.
One of the first things I made when we found the Cabot’s cheese was mac & cheese. Em hadn’t had mac & cheese in years so this was a big treat for her. It isn’t as creamy as many mac & cheese recipes, but we still find it delicious. I always look for “lactose free” to be printed on the cheese package.
1 cup penne pasta, cooked al dente
3/4 cup Lactaid milk
6 ounces Cabots Seriously Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Cook penne pasta according to package directions.
2. Mix milk and egg together in a small bowl.
Of course, this recipe is so versatile. You can add so many different things to mac & cheese to make it a more hearty meal. Some ideas include:
- 1 cup cooked broccoli
- 1 cup cubed chicken
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Can of diced tomatoes, drained
- Green peppers
- Ground beef (left over taco meat makes a tasty add in)
- Top with bread crumbs
Find more lactose intolerant friendly recipes on Pinterest.
- 1 cup penne pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup Lactaid milk
- 6 ounces Cabots Seriously Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a small bowl mix together the egg and milk.
- Place the shredded cheese in a casserole dish, add the milk mixture and combine well.
- Add the cooked pasta to the milk and cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Cook in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the top is browned.