This post and its photos may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Showing up as your best self is not just about looking your best. It’s also about feeling confident in the skin that you’re in. For nearly half of the American population, perfumes and colognes are essential parts of the package presented to others at home, at work, and everywhere in
Making the best impression with fragrance means knowing how to wear it properly. Here’s what you should know.
How To Wear Fragrance 101
Maximizing a Scent’s Impact
Even when saving money wearing discounted Bond no 9 scents, you want to get the most out of your cologne or perfume.
Follow these tips:
• Match the occasion: Various fragrances are available, ranging from light and refreshing to strong and alluring. Choose a fragrance that is right for the occasion and the time of year.
For example, the strong oud and musk tones of Bond No. 9 Signature Unisex would be a lovely scent for a romantic evening.
• Check for a pulse: Pulse points are the parts of your body where blood vessels are nearest to your skin’s surface. Spray your product on pulse points like the elbows, neck, wrists, and behind the ears. The body heat generated in these areas helps to diffuse the fragrance.
• Start with a little. When it comes to fragrance, less is more. Too much of a perfume or cologne can be overpowering or unpleasant. Start with a lighter spray and add more later, if necessary.
• Know your body chemistry: No two bodies will have the same chemistry, impacting the way a perfume or cologne performs. Oily skin tends to retain and project scents more strongly than dry skin. If you’re someone with an oily face but a drier body, you would use a lighter application on your neck and earlobes than on your wrists or elbows.
• Store products properly. Keep your fragrances in a cool, dark, and drier place. Humidity can cause them to break down.
Knowing What To Do and What Not To Do
Get even more out of your perfumes and colognes with these dos and don’ts:
• DO apply fragrance to clean and hydrated skin. Your product will last longer. Be sure to use unscented lotions, creams, or oils so they don’t clash with your perfume or cologne.
• DO apply fragrance to hair. A light application to your hair helps others perceive what you’re wearing, especially as you move around.
• DON’T spray your products on clothes. Some fragrances have such high concentrations that they may stain or discolor fabric. Scents perform better on skin and hair than on clothing.
• DON’T wear the same product all the time. Mix things up based on the season, the weather, and the occasion. What’s good for a date night may be too strong for the workplace.
Selecting the Right Scent
You can find several products from Bond no 9 and other brands to match the moment. From sparkling and refreshing scents to deeper and more seductive aromas, there are many options to suit your needs.