This healthy entrée features chicken and plenty of fresh vegetables. It can be enjoyed on its own or served over a bed of cauliflower rice to absorb the delicious, rich sauce. I love that it’s only ONE freestyle point and packed full of flavor. The new Weight Watchers Freestyle program makes staying on the plan so much easier when we can enjoy meals like this Tex Mex chicken recipe.
The flavor is even better the next day, so consider making a double batch for a quick and healthy lunch the following day.
Tex Mex Chicken Recipe Details
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Tex Mex Chicken Ingredients:
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
2-3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. chicken breast, thinly sliced
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. chili powder
1½ t. smoked paprika
1 t. dried oregano
1 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes
½ c. chicken broth, preferably organic
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Pickled jalapenos and red onion, to serve
Tex Mex Chicken Directions:
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, tomatoes, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender, around 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook until the chicken develops a bit of color on each side, around 6-7 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything is well coated and the spices are fragrant around 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, around 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with diced avocado or pickled jalapenos and red onion, if desired, and serve immediately with cauliflower rice or your favorite side dish. Enjoy!