Sometimes the classics are the best. There will always be something new and different out there, but classics are always great! It’s finally strawberry season here in Northern Michigan which means one thing and one thing only: It’s time for STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE!!!!
I heard of a new strawberry patch near my home so I had to check it out. When I got to the berry patch it was full of people picking berries. Fortunately, the patch offers pre-picked berries for only 25 cents more a pound. Personally, I pay the extra 25 cents per pound to save myself the hassle of picking fruit.
I purchared 14 pounds of berries which MIGHT be enough to get us through December. Of course, some of those were made into a big ole bowl of strawberry shortcake. I have a feeling I’m going to have to go back and buy another 15 pounds or so to make sure we make it through to the next strawberry season.
The next batch of berries I buy will probably be made into jam and a few more delicious desserts. I may try my hand at some strawberry ice cream or a triple berry coffee cake. Although, strawberry crepes are calling my name. Have I mentioned that strawberries are one of my favorite fruits? June in Michigan is one of my favorite times of year 🙂
What is your favorite strawberry dessert?
CLASSIC STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE
- Biscuits (makes 6 shortcakes)
- 2 1/3 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Reddi Whip
- Enjoy while the summer berry season is here.
- In a medium bowl combine Bisquick, milk, sugar, and butter. Divide batter into 6 equal parts and drop onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
- In another medium bowl mix together the strawberries and sugar.
- Assemble shortcakes. Split a biscuit in half. Place bottom half in a bowl or on a plate. Spoon strawberries
- on top, place other half of biscuit on top with additional berries and finish off with a healthy amount of Reddi Whip.