One of Em’s favorite treats is ooey gooey chocolate brownies. I’m always looking for ways to change-up the recipe or try something new so I thought The 250 Best Brownies, Bars and Squares cookbook would help.
This paperback book provides recipes in a very easy to use format. There are only a handful of color photos, but the ones that are shared make you want to run to the kitchen and start baking. Written by the same author that penned the 250 Best Cookie Recipes book you are sure to find too many tasty treats to pass up.
Here’s a couple of my favorite recipes from the book…try not to drool.
CINNAMON APPLESAUCE SQUARES–page 72, Fruit Bars & Squares
Preheat oven to 350Â° F
13- by 9-inch cake pan, greased
Base and Topping
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs, beaten
6 to 8 tbsp milk
2 cups applesauce
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp cold water
1. Base and Topping: In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using 2 knives, a pastry blender or your fingers, cut butter in until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add eggs and enough milk to make a dough, mixing lightly with a fork. Form dough into a ball and divide into 2 equal portions.
2. On a floured work surface, roll one portion into a rectangle, just a bit larger than the pan. Ease pastry into the bottom of prepared pan, bringing the dough a bit up the sides.
3. Filling: Spread applesauce evenly over dough and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Roll out remaining dough, as for first portion and place on top of applesauce mixture. Seal the edges.
4. Glaze: Beat egg yolk and water and brush base with the mixture, then sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until well browned. Place pan on a rack and cool completely, then cut into squares. Serve warm or cooled.
COFFEE MOCHA CHEESECAKE DIAMONDS–page 48, Chocolate Bars & Squares
Preheat oven to 350Â° F (180Â° C)
13- by 9-inch cake pan, greased
6 squares (each 1 oz) semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp strong coffee or coffee liqueur
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
Sour Cream Topping
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3 tbsp granulated sugar
Chocolate-covered almonds or espresso beans (optional)
1. Base: In a saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Add coffee powder and mix well. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar. Add cooled chocolate mixture and mix well. Blend in flour and baking powder. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Chill for 10 minutes.
3. Cheesecake layer: In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Stir in coffee until blended. Blend in flour. Spread evenly over base. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until set.
4. Sour cream topping: In a bowl mix together sour cream and sugar. Spread over warm cheesecake. Bake 10 minutes longer. Place pan on a rack to cool completely. When cool, cut cake into 6 long strips, cut strips across on diagonal into diamond shapes. If desired, top each with a chocolate covered almond or espresso bean.
NO-BAKE CRISPY PEANUT BUTTER SQUARES-page 163, No-Bake Bars & Squares
8-inch square cake pan, lightly greased
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups corn flakes cereal
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1. In a saucepan over low heat, stir together peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and corn syrup, until blended and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
2. In a bowl mix together cereals. Add peanut butter mixture and mix well. Press evenly into prepared pan. Chill for 6 hours or until firm. Cut into squares.